Thursday, October 8, 2015

How To Make Mini Caramel Apple Bites


This shop has been compensated by Vons. All opinions are mine alone. #AStockUpSale #Vons #CollectiveBias


Mini Caramel Apple Bites with Granny Smith Apples and Creamy Caramel // Easy To Make Snack // Baseball Team Treat // #AStockUpSale #Vons #CollectiveBias #ad


Mini caramel apple bites are so much fun to make and they are super easy. I like to take snacks for Houston's baseball team on Sunday afternoons, and the guys appreciate them when the southern California weather is really hot. My normal "team mom" snack is ice cold orange slices, but every once in a while it's fun to bring a sweet snack instead. It has to be something that is easily transportable and that doesn't spoil quickly so when I saw these I saw mini caramel apple bites on Pinterest I thought I would give them a try.

Mini Caramel Apple Bites with Granny Smith Apples and Creamy Caramel // Easy To Make Snack // Baseball Team Treat // #AStockUpSale #Vons #CollectiveBias #ad


Imagine my shock when I needed to purchase a melon baller and the one I found at Target was $10! Luckily I happened to look while I was at Vons buying groceries and they had a melon baller for only $3 #winning!

Mini Caramel Apple Bites with Granny Smith Apples and Creamy Caramel // Easy To Make Snack // Baseball Team Treat // #AStockUpSale #Vons #CollectiveBias #ad


Making the apple pops was easy. I cleaned the apples and then used my new (value priced) melon baller to carve out circles from the apple. I managed to get about 8 circles from each apple - I was trying really hard not to be wasteful. I lined the apple circles up on a plate and inserted an oversized toothpick into each one.

Mini Caramel Apple Bites with Granny Smith Apples and Creamy Caramel // Easy To Make Snack // Baseball Team Treat // #AStockUpSale #Vons #CollectiveBias #ad


I purchased melting caramels (they come in little balls so they melt evenly) and followed the directions to get perfectly gooey caramel. A quick dip in a bowl and mini apple bites were covered in caramel.

Mini Caramel Apple Bites with Granny Smith Apples and Creamy Caramel // Easy To Make Snack // Baseball Team Treat // #AStockUpSale #Vons #CollectiveBias #ad


When I came time to put the toppings on them I got a little creative. I took Honey Nut Cheerios, which are a staple in our house since they are Houston's favorite, and I threw them in our new food processor that we got for our wedding! A couple quick pulses in the machine and they were completely pulverized. I tested it out on one caramel apple and its stuck really well without absorbing into the caramel sauce.

Mini Caramel Apple Bites with Granny Smith Apples and Creamy Caramel // Easy To Make Snack // Baseball Team Treat // #AStockUpSale #Vons #CollectiveBias #ad

After I saw that the Honey Nut Cheerios were sticking to the apple, I had the brilliant idea to go get a different box of cereal from Vons down the street: Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Lucky for me, the General Mills cereals were on sale during the Vons Stock Up Sale.

Mini Caramel Apple Bites with Granny Smith Apples and Creamy Caramel // Easy To Make Snack // Baseball Team Treat // #AStockUpSale #Vons #CollectiveBias #ad


Mini Caramel Apple Bites with Granny Smith Apples and Creamy Caramel // Easy To Make Snack // Baseball Team Treat // #AStockUpSale #Vons #CollectiveBias #ad


When I opened the box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch, it smelled like my childhood; I'm a sucker for anything with cinnamon sugar: churros, snicker doodle cookies and good old fashioned cinnamon toast with butter (that was always my favorite when I went to my grandma Jay's house.)

Mini Caramel Apple Bites with Granny Smith Apples and Creamy Caramel // Easy To Make Snack // Baseball Team Treat // #AStockUpSale #Vons #CollectiveBias #ad


Houston is always happy to be my taste tester and he loved the Cinnamon Toast Crunch topped mini caramel apple bites. He said they tasted like a bite of apple pie. So I spent the rest of the afternoon making apple balls with my melon baller and snacking on more caramel than I'd like to admit. It reminded me of when my mom would buy apples and caramel from the store and I would eat the caramel with a spoon (my sweet tooth is no joke).

The only mistake I made was being impatient and not allowing the caramel to harden in the refrigerator before I took them out to take some photographs. The caramel started melting and made a big mess, but it was easy to clean up with some warm water and soap.

Overall I think my mini caramel apple bites were a huge success and I can't wait to take them to the next baseball game (we got rained out this weekend - the field was a muddy mess). I'm hoping to win some more points as "team mom" with my snacks. The mini caramel apple bites will be great to take to the baseball game, mostly because they are bite size, and a regular size caramel apple takes a while to eat. The guys can just munch on these while they are in the dugout without everything getting sticky or wasting apples.

Mini Caramel Apple Bites with Granny Smith Apples and Creamy Caramel // Easy To Make Snack // Baseball Team Treat // #AStockUpSale #Vons #CollectiveBias #ad

I have so much fun watching Houston play baseball and I like going out on the weekend and cheering for him and the rest of the Legends. Now I will just be able to do that and enjoy a yummy snack.


Mini Caramel Apple Bites with Granny Smith Apples and Creamy Caramel // Easy To Make Snack // Baseball Team Treat // #AStockUpSale #Vons #CollectiveBias #ad


What other General Mills cereals would you try as a mini caramel apple bites topping?


No comments:

Post a Comment