Monday, November 17, 2014

Vacation Without A Curling Iron

While Houston and I were in Italy I made a terrible mistake regarding my curling iron. I double checked the voltage on my flat iron to make sure it would work in the plug adapters but I didn't check the voltage on my curling iron. Now, if it had been the other way around, I would have been pretty desperate to find a hair salon - a girl needs her flat iron.

Not having my curling iron forced me to be a little creative with my hair styles. Ruby very graciously offered to let me use her curling iron, but I was not about to wake up even earlier than we already were, curl my hair and get the curling iron back to her. Instead, I tried a couple new hair styles and rocked some old faithfuls. 

When you don't have a curling iron but do have a flat iron, it only makes sense to flat iron your hair. Stick straight hair was the way to go on our first day in Rome.



Straight and low pony for a day of travelling and walking. - My hair was already straight from the day before and a ponytail is easy.

I love following Emily (the Freckled Fox) and her incredible hair styles. Granted, she has amazing hair to work with but I really love her headscarf roll tutorial. I didn't use a scarf or bandanna, but a shimmery elastic headband. - It was perfect way to tuck my naturally wavy hair up for the day and it looked so much more interesting than a simple bun. It has quickly become my go-to way to fix my hair on days I am running behind or don't feel like torturing my tresses with 5,000 degrees of heat.


Florence was full of hair changes... First I tried a side braid, but I am seriously lacking the Elsa hair to pull off such a braid and it kept falling out.


Then I tried low pony tail, but since my hair was neither curled or straightened it looked pretty terrible. So, when we headed to dinner I swept my hair into a low chignon that looked a lot like my hair from Brittany's 2013 wedding. Easy. Pretty. Non-frizzy.


Since the chignon worked the night before, I tried it again -- not as great, but it still worked. If only I could have made it look as beautiful as my hair from Brittany's wedding, it would have been awesome. Here is another way to do a pretty chignon from Oak and Oats

Nothing quite like a ballet bun on a rainy day to keep the frizzy hair at bay. Sometimes it is nice to just put my hair up and not worry about it.

I closed out the trip with ironed hair - it was just the quickest way to do my hair in the morning and I didn't have to worry about it looking terrible after several hours on the bus.

Needless to say, having to be a little more creative with my hair makes me want to try other hair styles more frequently and pray my hair grows.

What are your favorite no-frill hairstyles? 


17 comments:

  1. You rock it well, without it! Way to embrace Italy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they look quite elegant and classy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing with us alternate hairstyles to use. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Allison! -- I had a moment of panic at first, but decided I didn't want to spend my vacation in the bathroom curling my hair anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Katie! Emily's blog is truly inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your hair with the headband and bun! Looks super cute! Way to be resourceful with the curling iron. I was so used to traveling with sisters most of my life that if I forgot anything it wasn't a big deal. Now I have to make so many lists before I travel because Scott does NOT have my lotions, perfumes, curling iron, flat iron, make-up. hahah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post!! You can actually curl your hair with a straightener if this happens again...but I have yet to truly manage that one myself. I may not be coordinated enough to curl my hair with a straightener.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice job switching it up! I almost never mess with my hair, so I'm amazed with how many options you came up with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all of these different options that you shared with us!! I love trying new things with my hair so I am going to be trying some of these! Stopping over from the Peony Project Link up! Looking forward to connecting with you more!
    :) Rebecca
    www.caravansonnet.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me too, Stacia. Emily's blog was a lifesaver!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't figured out how to curl my hair like that!!! It always ends up with kinks in the ends or I straighten it too much and have weird layers. The worst is the burns though... the horror. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Heather! The headband was my favorite too.


    Don't our fellas know they have to be our backup plan??? ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job! They look so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such cute styles! I have naturally curly hair so some of those would be torture! But I actually use my straightener to do touch up curls :) I find they make cuter curls in my hair that look more natural. If I try to use a curling iron I look like Annie haha. It all depend on the width of your straightener but maybe try it sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brandy - believe it or not, I actually have naturally curly hair (wavy and frizzy is more like it). It is unruly, to say the least! LOL

    ReplyDelete