Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Italy Part 13: (Milan & Travel)

Italy Day Nine:

After we left Lake Como, we drove for another hour or so to our final stop of the day: Milan, Italy. 

Now I have to admit that I was pretty disappointed because I thought we were going to get to spend part of the day in Milan, but we didn't arrive until late in the evening. Since this was our last day in Italy, we didn't get to spend any time in Milan.  

Unfortunately the hotel we were staying at was closer to the airport then the city (nice for traveling, bad for sightseeing). I was already pretty exhausted and even if we had been close enough to go see something I don't know if I would have felt up to it. So instead, we had dinner at the hotel (it was awful) and had fun with our fellow travelers.

Our flight was scheduled to leave Milan at 10:30, which meant one last early morning alarm to get our luggage out to load onto the bus. I woke up not feeling so well, which is great when facing a day full of travel, and we headed off to the airport at 7:30 in the morning. 

Oh wait, it gets better!  

When we got to the airport there was all sorts of construction going on. We parked in a no parking zone and then our little group walked to the airport entrance with our tour guide Tony. At the main entrance we very abruptly said "thank you" and "goodbye" and then power-walked a good half mile to the ticket counter. After we got our boarding passes, we had to walk the same half mile back to the security line, then walk even further to immigration, and then another mile to get to our gate. By the time we got there I was feeling pretty terrible and was a hot mess.


I am sure you have guessed by now that we didn't take a single photo on the way to the airport or on the way home. Houston took 5 photos of planes while we were waiting for our plane in New York, but that is it. I know, I know... a terribly anticlimactic ending to an amazing Italian vacation, but a travel-weary and cranky Elise does not lend herself to being photographed.

Needless to say, by the time we got on the plane I was ready to cuddle up in my fuzzy leopard blanket and sleep. But sleep was not to be had my friends, no no. Houston and I did not want to have to deal with jet lag when we got home  since we had to go back to work on Monday morning, so we planned our sleeping patterns so that we would be on California time when we got home. The plan was to stay awake for the whole trip home, that's 9 hours from Italy to New York a 3 hour layover and then 5 hours home. It worked pretty well until we are about an hour and a half from Los Angeles and the fatigue really started to kick in. Houston I were exhausted and still needed to drive home. I don't know how Houston did it, because I physically could not keep my eyes open during the drive home. We hit traffic on the 91 freeway and there was a horrible accident in Eastvale that killed 5 people. When all was said and done, we were awake a total of nearly 27 hours. I don't recommend doing that, just deal with the jet lag and take an extra day off work.

I don't know what it is about vacation, but I usually get sick when I get home from one.  It makes going back to work even more dreadful. I was under the weather for a week or so and staying awake past 4 o'clock in the afternoon was practically impossible. But I finally adjusted back to California time with just enough time to spare to be completely jacked up after daylight savings time. C'est la vie.

And thus concludes the tale of my first international trip. Other than the rough 24+ hours it took to get home, it was am absolute dream come true.

Want to read the whole thing? Start here or pick a topic below:

Italy Day 1:  Travel Day
Italy Day 1:  Rome - Trevi Fountain
Italy Day 2:  Rome - Colosseum, Piazza Navona, Pantheon
Italy Day 2:  Rome - The Vatican & St. Peter's Basilica
Italy Day 3:  Assisi & Perugia
Italy Day 4:  Siena
Italy Day 4:  Florence
Italy Day 5:  Florence
Italy Day 6:  Castello del Trebbio  
Italy Day 7:  Venice
Italy Day 8:  Lake Lugano
Italy Day 8:  Lake Como


12 comments:

  1. Oh the joys of flying, what a bummer that you missed Milan :(. I missed it too if it makes you feel any better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flying can be so frustrating but it always ends up being worth it! Love hearing about your trip to Italy! Sounds amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely missed pieces of your trip so I will need to go back and take a look! I always feel gross and not so well when we come back from a trip, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for following along, Sarah! Traveling is so much fun, but there is nothing quite like taking a shower and sleeping at home. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The flight home was long, but hassle free (and I didn't have to sit next to any rude individuals). :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was really looking forward to spinning on the lucky bull. - It would have been a good laugh!

    http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187849-d194342-r85669299-Galleria_Vittorio_Emanuele_II-Milan_Lombardy.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you got to experience all this fun! Here's to many more fun-filled travels!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 27 hours awake is incredible! Props to you guys for even trying it but I can see how you don't recommend it. It always seems like traveling back home is the worst- things go wrong and you're amazing vacation is almost over with :( stopping over from oak and oats, lookin forward to reading more about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahaha. It was pure torture trying to stay awake. Houston was my hero. Isn't that the worst part about vacations? When they are over, everything falls apart!

    ReplyDelete