Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Be an Encourager

Encouragement is a funny thing. Given the circumstances, a sincere and kind word of encouragement can be a drink of water to a thirsty soul. 

Sometimes it is a lovely quote.

Sometimes it is reading the perfect verse at the perfect time.

Sometimes it is a giggly baby (seriously, children are amazing medicine).

Sometimes it is a good night’s sleep.

And sometimes it is a sweet person who, unbeknownst to themselves, speaks a lightning bolt of encouragement into the dark center of discouraging thoughts. 

Discouragement says: “You’re boring.” 
Encouraging friends say: “You’re cool – dream bigger!” 
Discouragement says: “The pressure is too much, just give up.” 
Encouraging friends say: “You can do anything you set your mind too.”

Last week I was wallowing in discouragement. Coupled with some grief and some serious exhaustion, discouragement was like a poison for my generally highly motivated disposition. Self-doubt and self-deprecation followed and threatened to derail some of my most cherished dreams.

Some sweet and slightly random encouragement inspired me to shake off the disheartening thoughts and I am filled with gratitude.

I am back on track and gleefully looking towards the future and continuing to dream my big dreams. Will they all work out? Probably not, but I think it is worth a good-faith effort to find out.


(image via)

Have you ever been surprised to hear you were an encouragement to someone? I would love to hear your stories!



10 comments:

  1. You deserve all the encouragement in the world! You do and have done things that simply amaze me and your never give up never too late attitude always encourages me, sometimes those who give so much encouragement and are so positive get overlooked when they need a little boost. I'm here to give you all my cheers and prayers for positivity and and for you to feel and see how amazing you are!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU, beautiful friend. I most certainly do not feel like my "positive" self lately. Time to refocus! <3

      Delete
  2. YES! BE an encourage! What the opportunity we have. We can use our words to tear down or build up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... and it takes more energy to be mean, right? :0)

      Delete
  3. Awe, I adore this! I'm very lucky to have a great support group in my life and I strive to be supporting and encouraging to them as well. It helps so much !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you have people who believe in you. Dream big!

      Delete
  4. YOU are an encouragement to so many people- it is only fitting that God would put someone in your life to encourage you <3 You're doing great, keep on living full of grace and His light! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Clarissa. I love our friendship and the encouragement you are to me. <3

      Delete
  5. (thought I commented earlier) There are times that it is hard to be encouraging, hard to be positive ; but often those are the people that need it most. I always try to remember to be kind, for everyone is fighting a battle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true! -- we never know what someone else is going through.

      Delete