Friday, January 3, 2014

Happy New Year!



I am a planner, plain and simple. 

Lists? I love them.  Checking things off those lists? It is like freaking Christmas on paper!  I suppose it is because it gives me a sense of “control” and a feeling of accomplishment at the same time.  Seriously, few things rival the feeling of running a straight line through numerous lines on my “to-do” list.

Write 2014 blog post
Start reading textbook
Paint toe nails while drinking a glass of wine
Fix toe nail polish

I often feel as if I have wasted time if I don’t have a general plan for the day or if I do not accomplish things on my list. My mom has always said that I am most content when my planner is full and I have a million things to do.  Well, that is normally true, except lately I feel like I have no margin.  No energy. No time for the people I love and it is HORRIBLE. 

I felt pretty convicted when the following daily devotional turned up on my desk calendar (gulp).



If there is anything being with Houston will teach me is that I can NOT plan everything.  He lives much more simply and has a more “go with the flow” attitude.  I could stand to learn a thing or two from that handsome fella.  He lives more in the moment, and soaks up every second, where I tend to be thinking about what I have to do tomorrow and in many cases, three weekends away!




Yes, I am still going to be making lists – and checking them twice (haha).  But I am also going to try to relax more.  Now, in my mind, this just means being even more organized so I don’t feel obligated to spend five hours on the weekend scrubbing under my stove and cleaning the grout in my bathroom. It will be a challenge.  I start “real college” on Monday and I know it is going to be some seriously hard work at a breakneck pace.



So, 2014: Plan less and enjoy life a little more.  Otherwise I fear I may plan my life and forget to actually live it!


Happy New Year!


2 comments:

  1. I think we all need to plan less and enjoy life. I hope you stick with your plan for 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danielle! - I'm fighting the urge to break out the notepad today. Happy new year to you!

      Delete