Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Decisions, decisions...

I have a question…

I have been toying with the idea of selling my “30 Sucks” Birthday Buckets on Etsy.  This is my most popular pin on Pinterest (I literally get emails every day letting me know how many times it has been repined).  For your reference, here are a few pictures of the one I made for Houston a year and a half ago and the original post {here}:





I was thinking I would print a vinyl cut-out that says: “Happy Birthday” and stick it to the front of the bucket.  I would match the “Happy Birthday” color to whatever color the circle on the top of the bucket would be.  

For example:  Pink circle = pink Happy Birthday.

I would print/cut out the reason flags and attach to the tootsie pops but leave a blank line (                        ) on the flag for the purchaser to fill in themselves with the 30 reasons the recipient is AWESOME.

So…
  • Should I sell them?
  • How much do you think I could sell them for?  (Price and shipping)
  • Do you think anyone would buy one???



Weigh in, my friends.  I have been praying and can’t get a clear answer.  Every time I think it is “yes”, I get overwhelmed with life.  Every time I think it is “no”, I receive a bazillion email notifications regarding repins.

6 comments:

  1. I love the idea of selling them! About how much do you think they cost you to make them and how much time do you spend making them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alisha! The cost would vary but probably around $12 once I have supplies on hand (initial cost would be more).
      I think I could come up with a pretty good system to streamline the process, but at least 2 hours for preparing and then shipping.

      Thanks for the feedback!

      Delete
  2. I would give yourself a certain amount of time..say 3 months..see how it goes. If it is profitable and worth the time you spend on it then go for it. I know you are super busy so it maybe something that really isn't worth the time to make...ship and answer emails...but at least give it a shot for a few months. I am thinking people might lean towards trying to make it themselves????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the same thing about time, Summer! I also think most people would try to make them at home... but ya never know, right?

      Thanks for the feedback!

      Delete
  3. Also... is there any red tape you'd have to go through in order to sell food products on Etsy? I think the buckets are GENIUS and would be a great hit! Just ensure the time invested in production brings in enough profit... you don't want this item to turn into the bird cage fiasco!:) I say give it a shot and sell them... $30 + s/h? Production cost should be a small percentage compared to profit. Love your beautiful, creative mind!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're one smart cookie, Brittany. I already checked into the "food" category on Etsy and it really only pertains to "home made" foods (I would also put a disclaimer regarding my liability for the consumption of the candies).

      I was thinking $30-ish too, but at that point, I think most people would try to make them at home themselves.

      Thanks for the feedback! Love you too!

      Delete