Monday, July 22, 2013

What We Did Last Weekend - Minneapolis, Minnesota

This weekend started early, or really late, depending on how you look at it.

Houston and I both worked on Wednesday in Los Angeles and left straight from work to LAX. Needless to say, it was a looooong day: commute to LA, work a full 9 hours, drive to LAX, travel to Minnesota... YIKES.

First stop?  Dinner at In-n-Out.   Yes & Yum.


We had to kill a couple hours, so we walked around the mall and then headed to check in our luggage and hang out in the Delta sky lounge. (Seriously, if you fly frequently, it is sooo WORTH it).  We watched Despicable Me and I read some of my favorite blogs. Then we were ready to board our 12:50 flight - like I said, it was a long day.



My genius boyfriend devised a way to keep our glasses from getting smashed/lost.


Brilliant, right?

So I watched the sunrise from the sky as we arrived in Minneapolis, Minnesota at 6:18 am (central time) - aka 4:18 am in California. Blegh. A red-eye flight with a screaming baby in the back of the plane makes for a very tired and very cranky Elise.



Lucky for me, two naps occurred on Thursday to make up for being awake for nearly 24 hours.  Hallelujah!!!  The sound of the St. Anthony Falls in the distant is remarkably soothing.



Such a relaxing day, with a quick trip downtown to check out the food trucks and the Farmer's Market and then we were off to dinner at Gasthof's  - A restaurant complete with polka music, lederhosen, and delicious food (also with a meter bratwurst and beer boot challenge) - It is an amazing dining experience.





Lunch on Thursday was at Matt's Bar - home of the original Jucy Lucy; a hamburger with a molten cheese center.  Yes, there is cheese cooked in the center of the patty.





Houston and I ate there in December, but I was totally game to go again.  Matt's Bar has been featured on the Food Network and cranks out thousands of burgers a year - impressive when you find out that the kitchen is next to the front door!!!  Yep... see the guy in yellow?  That is the cook and the grill/deep fryer. Delicious.  (p.s. That beer was NASTY)

When on vacation, go to Costco, right??? That's what we did on Friday afternoon. Gary lives on the 11th floor and the building has shopping carts for residents to use when bringing groceries upstairs from the basement parking.



On Friday night we walked from Gary's to the Target Field to watch the Twins game!!!  I purchased tees for Houston and myself - and we traded Dodger blue for a couple hours.  [I am totally lame and my Twins logo tank top can not be seen in a single picture we took... take my word for it, it was cute].  It was an awesome game -the Twins won! The local deli, Kramarczuk’s actually serves sausages at the ball park, which was great since we didn't get to go to the deli on Thursday (Houston was super bummed).  Baseball games are always over to quickly for my liking.  I would much prefer to attend a game that goes into extra innings - I just have too much fun to have it only last 2-3 hours. Houston said we will just have to go see the Dodgers play more often - I'm good with that.







Saturday was a super busy day getting ready for the Aquatennial Celebration!!! [This is what we went to Minnesota to see]. Minneapolis has a holiday to celebrate water - Minnesota is, after all, the land of 10,000 lakes.  There were picnics and all sorts of people gathering around the river, camped out for the biggest firework show in the country (presented by Target).  Ruby spent all day cooking up a storm and made, among other things,  fried rice (my favorite) and a delicious ice cream pie.  She deserves a medal for all the cooking she did... or at least a really healthy nap!!!  Then we all gathered on the balcony/patio to watch the show.  Minneapolis did not disappoint.  Nearly 30 minutes of non-stop beautiful fireworks!!!



It was a sad morning to wake up on Sunday knowing we would be heading home to California.  We slept in and lounged around all morning.  I have a HUGE list of things I would like to do if we are ever in Minneapolis in the summer again: walks through the trees, rent some bikes and ride through downtown, kayak on a lake, I could go on and on) - but on Sunday, I just wanted to relax on the couch.  Nice.  Before we went to the airport, we ate Mongolian BBQ, a first for me.  IT. WAS. DELICIOUS.  and as Ruby says: "if you don't like it, it's your own fault!"  You fill up a bowl with the ingredients you would like and then they grill it for you.  My bowl:  chicken, broccoli, baby corn and rice noodles.




Houston and I then spent about an hour in the lounge after we checked in our bags - playing Words with Friends and enjoying tasty drinks... I then got a random case of the giggles.  *wink wink*



Then it was homeward bound. [yes, we watched Despicable Me, again]... 4 hours later and we were back in LA and back to reality.  Bummer.  





Soooo not ready to go back to work. 

2 comments:

  1. Love that you are enjoying so many adventures....with your man:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too!!! But life together is the greatest adventure of all.
      <3

      Delete