Wednesday, June 12, 2013

What We Did Last Weekend - Farmington, New Mexico & Ouray, Colorado

This weekend was a loooong “weekend”.  I had the great joy of going to New Mexico with Houston to meet more of his family (sooo nervous).

We left the Inland Empire at 2:00 in the morning (which resulted in me being in my giddy-tired stage, where I was so tired, everything was hilarious) and drove to LAX.  A ridiculous wait to get through security and a quick walk to our gate and we were on our way to Denver!  Since it was so early, we slept most of the way there, but I woke up just in time to look out the window to see beautiful snow covered mountains!



Once we landed in Denver we connected to a “puddle jump” flight to Durango, Colorado.  What an experience that was!!!  I have never boarded a plane through anything other than a jetway at a major airport.  
We walked down a long hallway and out into the brisk morning air (hello, Colorado!) to board our plane (with two props!!!) Such a trip, since I haven’t travelled very much!



Our arrival in Durango was followed by a delicious breakfast; a drive into New Mexico and then a nap.  Thank heavens for that nap!!! I am going to have to get used to this whole travelling thing – I was totally wiped out and it was only two in the afternoon!

The rest of the week was a blast!

We ate the most delicious [comfort] food – i.e. LOTS of biscuits – that I am sure I will be working off for the next couple weeks (totally worth it) and visited some local breweries.  I got to spend some time with Houston's cousins and ADORED baby Joshua!


Our day trip to Mesa Verde was so interesting, and even though I was a little sick from the altitude and slightly dehydrated (a wonder, since I drink soooo much water) I still thought the cliff dwellings were incredible.  Nothing like a few extra thousand feet to remind a gal how horribly out of shape she is.  We bribed Houston’s cousin Timmy to come be our photographer for the day – gold star for that idea goes to Houston.




My favorite scenery was on the way to Ouray with Houston’s cousin John.  We stopped numerous times to take pictures near streams and waterfalls and the view of the mountains was spectacular!  I have never seen anything like it.  I don’t know if it was the thin mountain air or the beauty of it all, but it truly took my breath away.





I loved spending time chatting with Aunt Darla and Uncle Don – they both have the best sense of humor and were such lovely hosts!  They have a beautiful riverfront property and I LOVED waking up to the sounds of the river and the birds singing in the trees – a much more delightful way to wake up in the morning, if I do say so myself.  I am sure I will be shaking off my newly acquired Southern Twang for a couple days (but I don’t mind it – I would love to be a Southern Belle).



Now for the part I was worried about:  Houston took me to meet Granny Laney.  How intimidated I was to meet the family’s matriarch!  Lucky for me, the visit seemed to go rather well and we even made a second trip to drop off two photos from our day in Ouray.  She adores Houston – which is easy to understand, since I do too!


The trip home attempted to put a damper on the weekend but I refused to let it.  Here is a quick recap: delayed flight, missed connection, rescheduled flight, 20 minute taxi on the runway to “get out of the other aircraft’s way”, and separated seats on the flight home.  Lame. Lame. LAME!  On the bright side, at least we were stuck in the airport together and didn’t have to be completely separated.  Side note: sure fire way to have fun AND irritate those sitting around you – play silent rock paper scissors across the aisle.  We’re awesome.  To those of you wondering what airline… United.  Don’t fly United if you can help it. Nightmare.




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your trip with me. I loved the pics and truly enjoyed reading about it. So happy for you!! : )
    Debbie C.

    ReplyDelete