Monday, May 6, 2013

It is a sad, sad closet


It is a sad, sad, sad, SAD closet.  Indeed, it is a sad closet I have.

I am not one to get hung up on the latest fashion or feel like I have to be “trendy”, but a girl always likes to look pretty and lately I have just felt like a frump.  I think this is mostly due to the fact that I gave away 2/3 of my closet last month and have only purchased one coat since my purge of the un-worn.  YIKES.  I may have tees and camis for days; my scarves have taken over my dresser and the backside of two doors, but I have practically 8 outfits for work!



I think know that part of the problem is that I still hate clothes shopping!!! I believe this hatred stems from a couple sources: 
  • My past experience working in retail has made me never want to shop/fold/look at a tee table EVER again.  There has been many a time when I begin picking up clothes on the floor or folding something, simply out of an old habit. 
  • I have a “funny” shape – tiny waist and J. Lo booty with saddlebags.  I am one of the girls who knows she just should NOT wear skinny jeans, no matter how trendy they are – I own a mirror and see my reflection before walking out of the house (which is more than I can say for most of the girls I see on the way to work every day). I am thankful for my body that isn't disabled and try will try harder to love myself just the way I am.
  • I don’t think dressing like a tramp is “fashionable”.  Plain and simple.  I am about classy and timeless outfits and would rather look like a grandma than a lady of the night [rant over]. 
  • For a long time, I was working REALLY hard to pay off the small amount of credit debt I incurred over a couple years.  What was a seemingly “little” debt felt like a crushing weight to me, and I couldn’t wait to be out from underneath it! Now it has been kinda hard to let go of the penny pinching/constantly saying “no” habit I developed and actually allow myself to buy things.

When Mom asked me what I wanted for Christmas, I responded with an enthusiastic “BLACK PANTS!”  I had one pair of nice dress pants and was in desperate need of new ones!  Well, after four hours at the mall and countless pairs of black pants, I said screw it and declared I would much rather eat Paradise Pie from Chili’s instead of trying on another pair of pants. 

Similar situation for my birthday… Natalee asked me what I wanted and I said I wanted to go shopping with her.  Hallelujah, I found a pair of black pants (three months after Christmas) but that was it.  That night I opted for beer instead of dessert to console my wounded esteem.  Nothing is worse than trying on cute clothes and having absolutely no success – seriously, some of the pant legs were sewn so tight I couldn’t even try them ON!!!  They didn’t fit past my knees! 

I long to be “one of those” gals who is fashionably frugal.  Who knows how to pair color and accessorize to really make an outfit look great!  [yes, I worked in retail, but I sold men’s shirts and ties for crying out loud!] I have to caution myself against idolizing some of the ladies who write my favorite blogs – they always look adorable and put together, even on lazy sweatpants days.

Here are some of my favorites:










Seriously??? How do they do it???

So first things first… 
I took a cue from Jessica and purchased a sparkily gold belt.  LOVE it.  Now, if I can only overcome my aversion to the mall and more importantly… the fitting room.  The person who thought it would be great to have horrible lighting and a wall of mirrors should be tarred and feathered… or better yet:  forced to try to fit into skinny jeans!!!

8 comments:

  1. Wow...you are a gifted writer Elise!
    I have now added you to my "favorite blog" folder❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Aunt Sharon!!! I love writing and I am so grateful someone enjoys reading it!!! <3

      Delete
  2. I can totally relate! It seems so effortless for some girls. I too should never wear skinny jeans..which saddens me. We should go shopping together and by shopping I mean get dessert:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMGoodness, Summer... I totally fell over laughing! Thank you for being a classy [sexy] lady - we're a dyeing breed.

      Delete
  3. Girlfriend, if you ever, EVER need a shopping buddy, please call me! I promise it will be fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deal!!! I guess that means you will have to cancel moving away. -shoulder shrug- too bad, so sad for everyone else. I am keeping YOU!

      Delete
  4. you are so sweet! thank you for featuring my little 'ol blog and for all the love!

    xo,
    sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see London!!! SO excited! Praying for a safe arrival!!!

      Delete