Thursday, March 14, 2013

Be Mine, Valentine!


Valentine’s Day 2013

I have never been a big fan of Valentine’s Day.  No, not because I have always been single… ok, that may have had something to do with it… but I dislike the idea of showering your significant other with treated kindly and appreciated all year long!  Why should a calendar dictate when I receive flowers?  Shouldn't that be something heart felt and NOT required?  My facebook status last year actually said:

"No heart shaped box of chocolates for me... My valentine is the giver of eternal life! Boom! Jesus is awesome!"

Fast forward to 2013:

I am totally twitterpated over Houston.  He makes me all giddy-stupid and I think it is great.  We were both actually looking forward to Valentine’s Day this year – mostly because we would spend it together. 

Well… Houston’s job had other ideas.

He ended up having to commute all the way into Culver City for training. ON VALENTINE’S DAY!!!  What kind of crazy training facilitator schedules that kind of nonsense???  My poor man had to leave at 4:00 in the morning and didn’t get home until 8:00 pm.  I broke my “rule” that we weren't going to do anything on Valentine’s Day and gave him a wonky homemade card, Reese's Pieces and Tootsie Pops.  It looked like a second grader put it together, but Houston thought it was charming.  Since it was so late when he got home, I picked up some Curry Fried Rice and we ate dinner on the couch – and then he fell asleep.  Poor guy.  He was still jet lagged from {this} trip and then got stuck with an awful work schedule. 


Saturday was our Valentine’s Day together.  He showed up at my place with three dozen red roses – they looked beautiful and smelled like heaven! – I was actually sad we were not staying home so that I could enjoy them. 



We went on a beautiful drive up to Big Bear Lake and had a wonderful time just being together!  We took pictures at Boulder Bay and had an AMAZING lunch at The Peppercorn Grille [def. need to go back ASAP – the tomato-pesto pasta I ordered was to die for!!!]  I enjoyed just walking around to all the little shops, hand in hand of course, and the fresh air and sunshine.



So, what did I get Houston???  I was super sneaky and got us round trip tickets to Catalina!!!  I almost had to spill the beans right before Valentine’s Day when Houston suggested we go to Catalina in the summer –he had no idea I was already planning on it!



I made a fun nautical inspired card that said: “Come Away to Sea with Me!” [adorable, right?] I used a stock image of an anchor and added eyelets to complete the look I was going for.  I printed the tickets and wrote a whole lot of mushy stuff for the inside of the card – I will spare you the gag worthy details.  Lucky for me I even had an anchor gift bag to complete my Catalina surprise!



I am beyond grateful for Houston and the man he is.  Happy Valentine’s Day 2013, my sweet man.

No comments:

Post a Comment