Sunday, January 27, 2013

Finding a Small China Cabinet


Ladies and Gentlemen, may I proudly present, the long awaited and MUCH sought after… CABINET!!!

Be still my heart.

For nearly two years, I have been looking for a cabinet to use for storage of my beautiful Christmas plates, platters and my Gram’s silver I inherited.  I literally asked my Mom to go shopping with me for my birthday last year and we spent the whole day looking for something that was “just right”.

I found a cabinet at Home Goods that I LOVED… except it wasn’t deep enough.  The knobs were ugly.  The front and top had this weird bird painting.  Hmmmm. Maybe the only thing I really loved about it was the funky shape and the adorable feet.  When push came to shove, or check stand to large credit card bill, I just couldn’t bring myself to spend $250 on something I planned on completely taking apart and re-doing.



Another trip to Home Goods resulted in another cabinet… much shorter and I didn’t get the same butterflies as the other one, but this one was “ok”.  So I brought it home.  Stared at it for two days and took it back to the store.  It just wasn’t MY cabinet.  Sigh.



Many, many, many Home Goods trips with Houston and my frequent furniture stalking in Ross and Marshalls still didn’t produce my lovely cabinet.

Has anyone ever been to Tai Pan Trading in Rancho Cucamonga???  It is so affordable and they have the cutest setups for each holiday.  The first time I ever went was with Houston around Christmas and I could have walked through the beautifully decorated trees and tables for hours – I think we did actually spend a few hours there, now that I think of it.  *another Tai Pan Trading find were these AMAZING polka dotted plates- EEEK!



Ok, ok… so here is what happened two weeks ago:

Houston had told his mom, Ruby, about Tai Pan and we stopped by on a Saturday just to look around.  And there, in the verrrrry front corner of the store, away from all the pretties, with the sun shining in the main window was this cabinet.  Gasp!  It was even the same sage-y color as my living room!!!  Of course I didn’t have my measuring tape in my purse (I had stopped carrying it after last September) and the price tag made me want to cry.  Brittany’s wedding is in seven weeks, and I just couldn’t bring myself to buy it for $250 - sound familiar?  I have a serious issue purchasing things at full price.  So I left it at the store.  So SAD.

On a whim, I signed up for Tai Pan’s mailing list, I thought eventually they may have a furniture sale or something.  Imagine my delight when I received a coupon two days later for $25 off every $100.  Whooo hoooo! I saved myself $50 by waiting one week to buy my beloved cabinet.

My darling boyfriend let me borrow his truck and biceps to get it home (seriously, I am so sorry to everyone who has helped me move things in and out of my third floor apartment over the years)!!! 



Isn’t it pretty???  I love that the feet are scrolly in the front and the back (unlike the Home Goods cabinet with the ugly back legs), the height is perfect and there are two drawers for silver and napkins!!!  Napkins!!! I never even thought I would have that storage too!!!  I am so happy to finally have a place to keep my pretty Christmas dishes, and the chargers even fit inside too!!!

This was sooooo worth the wait.

* Thinking of refinishing the top with a darker satin and (maybe) decorating the sides with this idea I saw on Pinterest (spray painting over lace). Thoughts?


2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of staining the top a little darker, I think it's beautiful as is! I'd test the lace idea on something else to see if you like it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks friend! :0)

    I am soooo happy I finally have it!

    ReplyDelete