Monday, January 23, 2012

Praying for your Peanut

It is an amazing thing to literally hear God whisper.  It isn’t a demanding voice, but one that speaks quietly and gently – directly and quite deliberately to my heart.
Why does God allows certain things to happen?  Furthermore, why does God allow bad things or heart-breaking disappointments to happen to good people?  On the other hand: the “lady” at the grocery store drives me absolutely nuts!  You know who she is… she is there with five misbehaving kids and using food stamps; but she is holding onto a Coach bag with her perfectly polished acrylic nails.  WHY does she get to have the joy of being a mother – something she obviously finds no value in being – while numerous of my beloved friends struggle to accept that they may not be able to have a child…
Enter God’s whisper: Be still, Elise.  I have a plan… and it is awesome.
One of my darling friends just recently announced her pregnancy – I read the Facebook status update of her husband while sitting in the drive thru at Baker’s, promptly burst into tears (joy has that effect on me) and had to explain my emotions to the poor girl who opened the drive thru window!  It has been awesome to see my friend’s steadfastness and faith; regardless of whether or not God would choose to answer her prayers for a baby. 
 In her own words: “I know some people like to wait until they pass their 1st trimester but I believe prayer is more important.”  Amen, sister!!!  I resolved to pray for both of them; mommy and baby, daily.  The best way I could think of to remember to actually pray was to do so every morning when I change my shoes from tennis shoes to fancy work high heels… brilliant, right?
I have a habit of calling babies “peanuts” – because really, isn’t that what a fetus looks like???!!! And I am constantly asking how “mommy and peanut are doing” – when they know the sex of the baby, I guess I will have to stop with the peanut reference.
So I made an adorable mason jar into a sweet gift for my friend.  The outside says: “praying for your peanut” and on the lid I placed a coin-sized picture of a zebra high heel.  And it wouldn’t be complete without being filled with PEANUTS, of course!!!


This baby is a reminder to me that when MY plans are not happening as I would like them to… I need to trust that God’s plan is better. No, perfect; and will happen at just the right time… even perhaps, when I least expect it.  And even though it is hard to be patient (REALLY hard) I most definitely would rather have God’s perfect plan for me than my mediocre “I want it NOW” plan.
Thank you Lord, for your faithfulness. 

1 comment:

  1. Elise, that is so very sweet of you. I look at my jar daily. The jar is a reminder to me that I have so many people praying for me, peanut and my family!!! I love you for who you are and the woman God has made you to be!!!! Yes, God has a perfect plan and its in His timing, not our's!!

    ReplyDelete